Sunday, January 10, 2010

Kelab Penembak Bandar Diraja Klang organized it’s 15km run.





Today, 10.Jan.2010 in Klang. Kelab Penembak Bandar Diraja Klang organized it’s 15km run.

We reported at the main gates at 6:10 am. Having parked about 500 m and walked in almost darkness to the club house. But, anyway, we reached. The start was late, with the music blasting loudly, we could hardly hear the runners of class E,F and C,D announcement . We only managed to hear the gun start.

So away we went. My wife decided to run with me and forgo her class timing which was only 10 mins head-start. In a 15km race, that’s not a lot of time.

The movement was slow due to traffic. (human traffic not vehicles). Yet, some runners tends to bump into my wife as they jostle for place to sprint out. “ok, I think it’s useless to get out there so fast like there’s a fire” I said to her.

“So, pacing with the elite was always good but hey, getting in front of the race before it starts is what is needed, not jostling for position after the race started. “ I made a mental note.

As we made out 4 km stretch on flat surface, I had to learn to avoid water hazard and potholes. The straights was initially nothing to worry about. We paced and ran, paced and ran until we found the female (class C&D) that were back-markers. But we think it’s a strategy to run/walk and conserve energy for the 15 km. It was a young lady that had stopped running and walking. I did not see it then until the 40-50m elevation hill gave me a fright.

“that’s one huge hill” I said to my wife.

“that makes Malakoff’s looks like child’s play” she retorted.

I remembered Malakoff’s hill at Bukit Kiara and this one here was almost twice it’s peak. And it will give us another 3 hills in that course. We U-turn and hey it’s hill county again!

So, we mixed running /walking./Trotting/ power walking in our entire race. I ran when I could, walked a bit when I was tired. Most of the time the hills were not causing problems but the flats after 10km were testing me.

“my feets feels like burning!” I complained.

We stopped and I adjusted me shoes, (twice). But was confirmed. This race was one tough one. One the positive side, the view when sunshines comes up is perfect. Sun shining over hilly valley. I was inspired.

The last leg of 3 km, I was walking in. Because the race was over in my head. I pushed myself to accept that training was not enough (holidays and all). But nevertheless, I completed at 7.5km/h with mostly slow running. Pushing harder was not a wise decision with another race coming next week.

“good run?” I asked my wife

“tiring and those hills!” she mentioned.

Well, that’s my race report!


No comments:

visitor