Thursday, August 5, 2010

River Jungle

River Jungle 42.xxx km Marathon !
Sunday, August 15 from 4:30 am to 12:30 pm
Intro: | After a month of active running (4 weekends of events), it is time to change the running pace. This time, some of us will be running our first full 42.xxx km (proudly called a marathon). We were assured that it could be more than 42.xxx km but lets say this, a few km here and there will be good training for all of us mentally and physically for future marathons. I had participated in "runs" 10km, 12km, 15 km, 21km, etc, these were never once called "marathon". So, when I tell others I'm running, they always think it's a marathon, I need to correct them and explain the differences. This time, I do not need to correct anyone. Also, knowing the difference,"running a 10km marathon", always put a cheeky smile to my face.
Preparation:| When I sms-ed my coach, GOH, he said to me run it at a pace of 8 min ++ per km. That's a slow pace. Ideally we hope to maintain slow pace for 6 hours. Yes, 6 hours of running/jogging. Sometimes, we think we are crazy runners. A few things keeps coming to my mind;30km barriers and cramps. OK,firstly at such slow paces, I don't think a heart attack will sneak up on us. Cramps on the other hand will be tough to combat. So I'll have lots of pottasium (Kalium,K) and sodium,( Na). I think the molar ratio is 3 K :2 Na. I'll get this from bananas and ORS (oral re-hydrating salt). I got those from a clinic but it's available at pharmacies. 30km barrier is when legs turns to lead and it's hard to run anymore. I'm hoping to use mental strength and re-filling my glycogens using GU-gels/powergels so that it remains in carbo fuelled rather than protein/fat fuelled. If that fails, then plan B is to decrease speed and walk. I'll push it after 2 km, and let it move on fat/protein fuel for some time, I'll replenish that protein after the marathon.
Water is mandatory, I'll need that with my ORS, but won't be carrying a hydration belt. I'll use the mobile water station instead.Blocking out the sun after the 25km (should be 8 am then) will be very important. Heat makes running hard to do. Heat and humidity takes out water and overheats the body. So, I'll have to rely on two things, clothes and sun block SPF 50. (Not extreme heat). A hat will be good for protection since the head gains the most heat, i,e potential for heat-stroke, (this is so true for 11am-noon time) . We expect to finish in 5.7 until 6 hours, (with pacer).
Training:| We hope to do some easy runs for millage and muscle conditioning soon. Two weeks to go, but remember we need rest as well.

No comments:

visitor