Sunday, December 20, 2009

Malakoff 20 December 09



Nice and fun race, but hilly. Start/Finish at Bukit Kiara. 12Km and 7km runs, we took the 12Km !

First hill 1km (Science Center): Very slow run, not fully warmed up although I did manage to slow jog before the start. Surprisingly I still overtook some runners that surged right after gun start.

Flats 2km: Flat runs are always welcome after hilly ones. Kept my pace, but when I pushed faster, I had side stitch (pain below my ribs, left to my stomach). That kept me slower, but I kept massaging it and then it went off after 2Km.

Hill (again), this one really sloppy, Push more and imagine I am a balloon. But my balloon have little air. So I tried to overtake and gain ground. Mid-hill I had to walk a little to catch my breath.

Water station: Normally I don't take in so much water, but I went for it, half cup water, I sipped half of that. Did not know if it affected my race later on but it was satisfying to have a drink. I am pampering myself. I checked my watch; less than an hour, good timing!

Downhill (woohoo), I was taking it slow dowhill, then went faster and faster, those who overtook me uphill was taken by surprise downhill. I kept my pace as best I could but I took in most absorbed impact to save my knees.

First loop completed: 7Km runners are departing to finish line, 12Km runners doing second loop.

Uphill (again), this one really "kaw" massive steep uphill! Push and Push and even my wife gets to catch up with me. I was really surprise because I zoomed off rather early in the race.
"my timing going to be way off the mark if I see you now" I said
"keep running and stop talking" she blurted

I waved to the RELA and Polis, then to some cars that had to wait for us runners as we are king of the hills , so to speak la.

FLATS : Wife was pacing with me, then I said I going to go faster to meet race qualifying time of 1h 35 mins. She nodded. I zoomed like a speeding Mat rempit.

Hills (last one) : I feel like a 3 ton lorry climbing this final hill. Tried all ways to master this hill climb but to no avail. I looked to my right and this lady was brisk walking at my jog pace. walau! so I joined her instead. Save energy la. Also, must be smart in racing. I consider this a race strategy. Later, downhill can unleashed the power.
Then I got a pat in the butt. Oii, who's touching me? Turned to my right, ohhh, it's my wife! Bloody fast uphill.
"how come you're so fast, dear?" I asked
"Uphill is so easy for me,housework helps! but we are going downhill now" She replied.


DOWNhill (to finish line) ; We ran side by side as man and wife, zooming downhill. You can feel the envy of other runners as they watched us zip by like F1 cars.
Most olders runners have to save their knees so they cannot make a fast deccent .

We glided to the finish line hand in hand.
"it was fun!" she commented.
"wow, you're very fast dear!" I responded
"OK, now to spot and pose for the photographers" I quipped

We got in in very good timing. It's amazing for us to have the same time of completion. Haha.
Very good race indeed!






I'm waiting for photos captured during the run.
Note: Photos taken from PM Tey Eng Tiong (who takes lovely shots by the way!)

visitor